Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Running the Maze

When I look back at the past few months and realize the number of doctors I've visited, I feel like I've been riding around and around on a roller coaster.  It just keeps flying past the point of disembarkment and making wild loops and lunges over and over.  The good thing about the on-going ride, is that I've become numbed to the sudden, jarring plunges.  I'm no longer shocked by the neck-wrenching turns.  I've come to recognize the places that took my breath away and am no longer surprised.

We went through another series of doctor visits and almost, but not quite, surgical stays.  I was supposed to attempt another biopsy, this time in the hospital under anaesthesia   I went in the day before for my pre-surgical appointment.  They drew blood, took vitals, and ran an EKG.  I left two hours later with several wrist bands and instructions not to eat or drink after midnight, what to wear the next day, and admonitions to not remove any of the plastic straps attached to me.

When I got home, there was a voice mail message telling me that the anaesthesiologist had viewed the EKG and cancelled the surgery.  He saw a strange heart rhythm (the one I've been telling doctors about for the past three weeks, that no one seemed concerned about).   I called back to question what he saw on the EKG and was referred to the doctor who was to do the surgery.  He tried to find out what was happening and if the surgery could be performed some other way.  In the end, everyone just advised me to get into a cardiologist.

The cardiologist was extremely kind--probably the nicest, most personable of all the docs I've seen since October.  He listened to my heart, hooked me up to run an EKG, and just visited with Rob and me about all these recent health issues.  He couldn't see anything wrong with my heart rate or rhythm at that moment, but decided to order some tests and a heart monitor.  We walked out to the waiting room to schedule the tests when suddenly my heart started doing that flip-floppy thing it does these days.  I told Rob and he called out to Dr. Crawford who rushed me back to the exam room and plastered me with sticky electrodes, connected them to the machine, and ran another EKG.  Sure enough.  There was the proof that I have a funny new heart rhythm that kicks in every once in awhile (usually when I'm trying to fall asleep at night).  Dr. Crawford called it a Premature Ventricular Contraction (PVC) and didn't seem terribly concerned about it.

So, Tuesday was another long day, this time at Ogden Regional Hospital, having an echo cardiogram and the stress test.  Let me say, jogging on a treadmill in a hospital gown with seven people watching is not my idea of fun.  I hope I never get that opportunity again.

I'm wearing a monitor now that continually beeps and buzzes at me.  I better get used to the noise because it gets to be my little buddy until January 21.  I hope it considers me its buddy and gives the doctors good news so we can get this show on the road.

I've been comparing experience of the past few months to being in a giant maze that has no way out, no solution, or exit.  But that treadmill on Tuesday somehow seems more symbolic.  I'm just running in place, going nowhere, and getting exhausted to boot.


Emily Woods said...

Georgia, I am praying for you to find a way out of the maze and to get a break off of that treadmill. Although you are a great runner. I am praying for you every day and I love you so much! You are have been pretty much a second mom to me! Love you so much.

Nancy said...

Georgia, I've been waiting to hear about your health. Living in Arizona, I have to wait and wait. I hope all goes well. Best of luck.

Celia Turner said...

I totally "get" the whole health issues rig-a-ma-roll (I know that's not a real word, but I like it, anyway!) that you are currently going through!! I feel like my 2012 was filled with all that roller-coaster health stuff! Plain and simple: IT STINKS!! Not feeling good is one thing, but not knowing why you're not feeling good is another! Hopefully, they'll have some answers for you, soon! Meanwhile, I wish for you to have some good, peaceful, happy days!! Hang in there!

wendy said...

sheeesh, this must all be exhausting for you...physically and mentally. so sorry you are having to go through this.
I hope you and your buddy come up with GOOD NEWS over the next little while.

Tina said...

So sorry for the "maze" you are going through!!! Mazes are puzzles, and puzzles always have a solution. You'll get there!

So interesting . . . I have that flip, floppy thing happen to me at night when I lay down to read or relax at night. I guess I'm just aware of my heart beat at those quiet times. I haven't told a solitary soul about it, because I think if I ignore it, it is nothing!!!! I'll be interested to hear what they say about yours!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Janette Rallison said...

Hope you get out of the maze soon! Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for your kind words on my blog. You clearly know a lot about literature! (And have great taste in books!)

Janette Rallison