Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hinckley

Me with baby brother, Mark on the sheltlan pony, Twighlight in the back yard in Hinckley.
Bird-leg me with the family mutt, Rex, in front of our adobe brick home in Hinckley.

Very few people I meet have ever heard of the town where I spent my growing up years...Hinckley, Utah is in Millard County somewhere near the N-S middle of the state and on the western boarder, in fact the next town you come to heading west after Hinckley is Ely, Nevada.

Hinckley really was a nice place to grow up and it has certainly shaped who I am in more ways that I'd like to admit. It is such a remote and isolated community, it always seems like time stood still in the 30's or maybe the 40's and never quite entered the modern age. The fact that I haven't been back to Hinckley in 10 years probably adds to the sense of 'frozen-in-timeness' I feel about about the place.

So...this next week I'm going back! Cami has been begging for me to take her to my ol' hometown and the 24th of July (Pioneer Day) is the perfect time to visit Hinckley. Just the two of us are going to head down the highway of long-ago memories and open up the floodgates of remembrances.

I will blog about the experience when we return next weekend, so watch this space to see if we survived the trip, escaped the land of 'lost-in-time' and are able to talk (write) about it.

1 comment:

Dean and Sheri said...

I very much look forward to The Hinckley Chronicles". Georgia, I so appreciate your perspective on things. I really, really, really enjoyed your last post about your childhood stay with neighbors during your mothers illness. I wanted to reach back in time and take care of you two and let you have icecream cones, real Kool-ade, cartoons, hugs and pbj's on wonder bread. Thanks so much for sharing your stories.